Monday, July 27, 2015

Luc's Big Day

I decided to take Luc to work with me today. My equine dentist/vet/endurance expert/boss very generously offered to take a look at his limp.

This would be his first trip away from home. I was very apprehensive about it. Abnormally so. I envisioned him leaping and rearing, ripping the rope out of my hand, and possibly breaking down some fences. He hasn't done the leaping and rearing thing for quite some time, so I don't know why I worried about that. However, he did break down/through my fence and my neighbor's barbed wire fence sometime in the middle of the night just over a week ago. Luckily he was only scratched up a bit from that encounter.

Well, I needn't have worried. He loaded up, unloaded, did his lameness exam, and hung out all day watching horses come and go. All with no problems. He looked like he was having a blast with so many entertaining things to watch. Including large alien pack goats.

It looks like maybe his gimp is coming from his suspensory ligament in his left front leg. It's definitely that leg. And that's the only place that he reacted to when it was palpated. We didn't use hoof testers on him so that could be where the problem is, but I doubt it. 

The plan for now is to trim his hooves better (I've been too conservative and also haven't trimmed him in a while) and wait and watch. I will probably take him in for a real lameness work up if he doesn't improve soon.

Tonight I introduced a new (used) toy to the boys. Bella, being above such things, wasn't interested.

 They rolled it around quite a bit, and the treats did come out, but they didn't realize it, so I just kept putting them back in.
 I won't comment on the shape of the new toy, but I really want to. WTH?


No comments: