Sunday, June 28, 2015

Taking it easy in the heat

Right now it's 104 degrees. Gross. Yesterday it was just a couple degrees cooler. I prepared by shaving the donkeys:

I knew Pedro had a brand on his left shoulder, but I didn't know about this one on his hip. I got the phone number of the guy the brand is registered to. Busy signal so far. I guess I don't legally own him until the brand owner signs a paper saying he has no claim to him. Oh well, I'll get it straightened out, or I won't. Either way it'll be okay.

The only shade the horses have is in hot metal buildings, so I brought them into the yard.

Bella learned how to high line. I'm pretty sure I've never had her on one before, but she did great.

Luc began to learn to stand tied. I've been meaning to do this for a while. He was a lot quieter about it than I expected, but it took him a little bit to realize he didn't have to worry if I walked away. I never tied him fast until today.

In the evening I spent some more time with them with no agenda.

Luc marches to me just like Tonka used to, with the same cheerful expression. He genuinely likes people.


Bella's grazing muzzle stayed on for maybe 2 minutes. So much for that idea. Scout knew just where to pull to get it off.

My sweet,silly boys.

Being in the pasture with them is so peaceful.

Now we're in the yard again, waiting for the heat to pass. The boys are relaxing, except when a horsefly comes around. Luc is tied for real and having no problems, but I do have my knife handy just in case. He's toying with getting the rope over his ears, then seeing what happens. He had a mild panic the first couple times, but now he seems to know when to stop fussing. It's interesting to sit here and watch his thought process.

No comments: