Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Good Morning!

 I needed some quiet time with my donkey, and Pedro obliged, with a lot of funny faces thrown in for good measure.


 He's such a big love.


Bob is too dignified to pose for silly pictures.

Scout rode in a big boy bit for the first time yesterday. Tonka sure loved his Dutton bit, and I think Scout will too.

Luc was trying out a little head flinging and rudeness at feeding time. When I got him out to work a bit he seemed to get over it. We need to spend more time together. I spend so much time separating them to feed Luc and medicate Scout twice a day, that I don't spend near enough quality time with anyone. It gets a little discouraging, exhausting, frustrating, and sometimes downright angrifying (Scout doesn't much like his medicine).
I'm feeding Luc a lot of expensive feed (which he insists on spilling every time) and he's not really putting on a lot of weight. I hope that means he's growing. I could add more alfalfa but he's already acting like he's on jet fuel... I'm just going to try to be patient and remember that growing horses are ugly ducklings.

6 comments:

Linda said...

Yes, they are. When they finally start to put on weight and just generally mature, you can see big changes. Beautiful was a wee one, but she's hefty now. She's always be slighter in frame though. Your donkey is so cute. Makes me want one.

Andrea -Mustang Saga said...

I think everyone needs a donkey! Except those jerks who rope them and neglect them. They are excellent therapists and cuddlers.

T.L. Merrybard said...

I think the saying goes with young horses to look at them at 3 days, then 3 months, then try not to look at them with an eye to conformation again until they are 3 years old. :)

Andrea -Mustang Saga said...

Unfortunately, he IS 3 now. He looks like a 2 year old. But I'm sure he's just a little slow. He really just needs to fill out some.

Andrea -Mustang Saga said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
froglander said...

Cody didn't look filled out until he was about 7, he'll be 9 this summer (where has the time gone?!?)

He has done well these last few years on plenty of hay (orchard/alfalfa mix) and Triple Crown senior.